The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Many chocolatiers like to make perfectly spherical truffles. (Okay, well maybe not perfectly spherical - they have to have a flat bottom so they don't roll around.) Up until now there have generally been two ways to do this:

Buy a one-shot depositor (expensive)
Buy pre-made shells (cheating? misleading?)

Recently, the Italian company Pavoni started a line of silicon molds specifically designed to work with ganaches as an extension to their Pavoflex line of molds for cakes and pastries. They have basic shapes (square, rectangle) that can be used in many environments to replace an expensive guitar cutter, and a circle and oval that replace a "cookie" cutter. To use them, you place the mold on a flat surface (e.g., a sheet pan covered with parchment paper), pipe the ganache into the mold cavities, and with an offset spatula and bench scraper make sure the ganache completely fills the mold cavity and that the top (what will end up as the bottom) is flat.

Perhaps the most interesting mold shape, however, is the spherical mold. With it, chocolatiers can make ganache spheres that they can then enrobe, either by hand or on a belt.

Using the Chocoflex Spherical Truffle Mold

As can be seen from the picture above, you simply pipe the filling into the molds, let it crystallize, and then remove the top half of the mold to reveal the finished spheres - ready for the next stage of production.

A 2-piece 67-sphere mold set costs $150. Expensive, yes, but far less expensive than a one-shot machine and you'd quickly recoup the costs by not having to buy shells. Plus, the mold is not limited to ganache; anything you can pipe (praline, gelee, fondant) you can use to fill the mold cavities. You can also bake and freeze in them.

Tags: ganache, molds

Views: 10913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, I clicked on the link but even when I clicked on "English" I had some trouble understanding the site. Do they have North American Distribution?
Yes. You can purchase the Chocoflex spherical mold (and other Chocoflex molds) at Pastry Chef Central.

In addition to the spherical molds there are Chocoflex molds for rounds, squares, rectangles, and ovals. Although they are called ganache molds, you could also do pralines, gelees, fondants, and other centers. Consider also this "depositor".
Clay.

We carry them at Tomric too.

brian
Do you have any tips for use that address any of the questions that ChocolateLIfe members have?
There is definitely some recipe tweeking that needs to happen for all of them but my favorite use is pate a fruit in the sphere.

b
Brian;

I have Tomric's catalogue and saw a sphere mold (Model #: I-1158 ) in it, and was just wondering:

1. Is it a two piece mold?
2. Is the mold flexible, so that we could pour in something like creme caramel, let it cool and then pop it out with little effort, such as with a silicone mold?

I apologize in advance if the questions seem simple. The only molds we use in our shop currently are bar molds, so I have little experience with them.

Thanks.
Brad Churchill
www.SoChoklat.com
Brad.

I-1158 is a polycarbonate injection mould, probably similar to your bar moulds. It is not flexible and we tend not to recommend using these moulds for anything other than chocolate. In order to make perfect spheres, I recommend having two that we can hinge together.

brian
Brian;

Do you have anything like that? You mentioned that Tomric has a mold similar to the chocoflex.... What is the part number?

I would love for us to offer a creme caramel truffle center that is consistent with the rest of our truffles....

Thanks in advance.
Brad.
Brad.

We carry the chocoflex mould from Pavoni. Not sure of the part number but give customer service a call (716 854 6050) or email sales@tomric.com and they can provide it for you.

b
I would like to invest in a guitar - and wondered if there is a company that sells them used? Any opinions regarding the plastic base vs. aluminum, single vs double, manufacturers?
How cool is that? But, I think I'll wait until a less expensive version comes out in the market. Till then, I will continue to roll out the truffles the old fashioned way, by hand.
Has anyone tried these molds to first create a tempered shell, then fill it with ganache once the shell is hardened?

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.