The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Many chocolatiers like to make perfectly spherical truffles. (Okay, well maybe not perfectly spherical - they have to have a flat bottom so they don't roll around.) Up until now there have generally been two ways to do this:

Buy a one-shot depositor (expensive)
Buy pre-made shells (cheating? misleading?)

Recently, the Italian company Pavoni started a line of silicon molds specifically designed to work with ganaches as an extension to their Pavoflex line of molds for cakes and pastries. They have basic shapes (square, rectangle) that can be used in many environments to replace an expensive guitar cutter, and a circle and oval that replace a "cookie" cutter. To use them, you place the mold on a flat surface (e.g., a sheet pan covered with parchment paper), pipe the ganache into the mold cavities, and with an offset spatula and bench scraper make sure the ganache completely fills the mold cavity and that the top (what will end up as the bottom) is flat.

Perhaps the most interesting mold shape, however, is the spherical mold. With it, chocolatiers can make ganache spheres that they can then enrobe, either by hand or on a belt.

Using the Chocoflex Spherical Truffle Mold

As can be seen from the picture above, you simply pipe the filling into the molds, let it crystallize, and then remove the top half of the mold to reveal the finished spheres - ready for the next stage of production.

A 2-piece 67-sphere mold set costs $150. Expensive, yes, but far less expensive than a one-shot machine and you'd quickly recoup the costs by not having to buy shells. Plus, the mold is not limited to ganache; anything you can pipe (praline, gelee, fondant) you can use to fill the mold cavities. You can also bake and freeze in them.

Tags: ganache, molds

Views: 10758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

16 grams is pretty big!  Once it's dipped in chocolate and rolled in a coating you're going to have a truffle the size of a golf ball.

Right now, we've standardized on a 12 gram truffle center, and when dipped and coated is significantly larger than those of our peers.

I've never tried the molds you mention, but when I look at the link, it shows the mold as having a flat bottom, and not being round like the Chocoflex.  this means that a person will still have to roll it round by hand.  If that's the case, the mold won't be effective for round truffles, in my opinion.

Cheers.

Brad

The molds you are referring to are flexible silicon. The idea is not to roll them into perfect spheres. Instead they're closer to a demi-sphere mold shape.

They are used by piping the molds full, letting the center crystallize, then freezing the entire thing, mold and centers. Once frozen, you remove the centers and box them. This way it doesn't matter if they get scuffed because they are going to be enrobed later. When you need them, you remove them from the freezer, let them thaw, and enrobe.

This is presented as an alternative to freezing finished product. In this regard they're pretty attractive in certain production situations where high volume is needed in a short period of time.

:: Clay

Hi All!
I have been using those chocoflex for a couple of years, bought them in Italy after Stefano Laghi (Master Chocolatier, developer of chocoflex) was talking about during a sugar workshop.
Is a very quick method to prepare 100's of truffles all the same size (important if you want to sell by piece..), you just need to play around with recipes as the classic 2/1 ganache won't work. i've started from the recipe that Maestro Laghi gives and then play around trying to keep the fat/chocolate content in balance.
I find that the truffle are a good size (at least for my market) considering that the weight is ca 10gr.+ 2/4gr. for the coating.
would i buy more? yes
Should Pavoni sell them a bit cheaper? definitely YES!!

Hi Antonio,

Do you have to freeze the truffles in the mold or just let them set before demolding?

Does the mold include or come with a ganache truffle recipe that would work or a guide on how to adjust it?

Thanks,

Omar

Hi Omar,

when i bought them, i asked Pavoni to send me some recipes, and they did send 3 or 4.

Usually i let them set at fridge temperature, freezing is risky due to condensatio, but possible

A guide on how to adjust the recipes would be great, but unfortunately you will have to do a bit of  testing on your own..

Cheers

Nino

Hi Nino,

Thanks for the info. I have also read that with this mold users don't need to pre-coat the truffles. Do you pre-coat your truffles before the final enrobbing or can this step be avoided?

Thanks,

Omar

Hi Omar,

the whole operation is simple: first fill the mold with you ganache, let set in fridge.

de-mold and then coat with tempered chocolate either by hand or by machine.. 

that's the easy way. it can get pretty funky as you can create combinations: E.g. fill the bottom press an hazelnut (or anything, let your creativity do the work) then put the top part and complete the filling.

Or fill the bottom part with let's say coffee ganache, let set. put the top part of the mold, fill with cream ganache.  set/de-mold/coat with chocolate and you will have a de-constructed cappucino truffle! (if you make millions of $$$ on this recipe don't forget about me!!!)  

Those in the pics are made with chocoflex...

Attachments:

Omar, I realize this discussion is several months old, but I got the silicone molds (12g, 88 cavities) from Chef Rubber.  After trying a regular ganache and having to freeze it to unmold properly, I decided to work with a butter ganache instead.  It crystallizes fast (under 30 minutes) and there is no need to freeze the mold.  It unmolds easily at room temperature.  There is no need to spray anything to help the unmolding either, it detaches easily from the walls of the mold. Not having to freeze the mold is good because I like to dip the centers/add a transfer; and then vacuum pack them, refrigerate and then freeze till I need them.  I am hesitant to freeze anything twice, so this works better for me.

I had never done a butter ganache before and found good recipes in the Greweling book, chapter six.  Hope this helps!  Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Do you find filling the silicone molds with the butter ganache hard? Isn't too thick? What is the temperature of the butter ganache when you fill the molds?

What type of machine do you use to vacuum pack your truffles? Chamber vacuum?

Thanks,

Omar

Filling the molds is the easiest thing.  I pipe the ganache with a disposable bag as soon as it is ready, it is in the mid 80s by then. I did a passion fruit honey ganache where one uses tempered melted milk chocolate. Because it crystallizes quickly you don't want to delay.  I then use an offset spatula to ensure the ganache fills all the space. 

I decided to try these molds as a substitute for hand cutting slabs into little squares, as an amateur I really don't want to spring for a guitar.  I am happy with the results.  The ganache is firm but very smooth and has great mouth feel. 

I use a simple Foodsaver vacuum with its little plastic bags (bought it at Costco).  I place the chocolates in small cardboard boxes on top of food safe pads.  I use the Greweling technique of placing the vacuumed boxes first in the fridge for 24 hours, then in the freezer and same timing/steps on return trip, and opening the vacuum after 1/2 day at room temps, with no bloom problem.

Hope that helps!  Best, Catherine

It definitely helps. Thanks!!

If you buy the guitar later down the road, would you switch back to the regular cream ganache, as this one might be easier to cut because it is not as firm as the butter one?

What flavour do you prefer, the butter or the cream ganache?

Regards,

Omar

Omar, both ganaches are great tasting.  The butter ganache is a little trickier to make, as I found out when making a third batch.  The butter had cooled too much, and the ganache started to separate - but I was able to save it.   I never have a problem when making a classic cream ganache.  Best, Catherine

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.