The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Mast Brothers Chocolate- bean to bar producer out of Brooklyn, NY

A group of four of us tried the the Mast Brothers origin bars. Three bars labeled Venezuela 72%, Ecuador 66%, and Madagascar 64%. Due to a lack of major buzz generated about this company, we tried these bars with little to low expectations. Very small company operating in a kitchen in Brooklyn. Starting from the beginning, the visual appearance of the packaging is very cool. Heavy duty paper with various prints from floral to musical notes. No ingredients label to hint at what's inside. The mold is basic but the bars all had a very nice appearance with few flaws and wrapped in foil. Although the thickness was noticeably uneven. Most importantly, the experience of tasting them surpassed our expectations. Smooth texture and even melt for each. Bitterness well controlled. They also had a pleasant and fairly long aftertaste. Each bar exhibited the unique flavors of their respective region. The Madagascar was fruity, Venezuelan had subtle notes of berry but chocolaty flavor quite noticable, and the Ecuadorian bar was spicy with a cinamon flavor and some coffee notes. The Ecuadorian bar was so impressive we were suspicous of flavors being added. None the less, these bars are worth getting ahold of. Only available at a few locations in Williamsburg, Brooklyn at the moment.

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mast Brothers bars were among the most enjoyable of the bars I reviewed in 2010.  They're doing fine work!

Here are my personal enjoyment ratings (on a 0-10 scale):

Venezuela 9.4

Brooklyn Blend 9.4

Domican Republic 9.1

I consider any rating >9 to be in my "Top Favorites"

My ratings can be found at ChocoFiles.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc