The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

What's the weirdest flavor/inclusion combination you've not only heard of in chocolate but have actually eaten?

Inquiring chocolate minds want to know.

I will start things off by saying that I think the Austrians are among the most adventurous when it comes to flavors in chocolate.

I used to think it was the Spanish when I was tasting the work of Enric Rovira (chocolate covered corn-nuts, pretty good actually) and Oriol Balaguer (the saffron truffles were definitely an acquired taste, and it was a lot of fun to give someone his pop-rocks chocolate without telling them what it was ...).

Lately, however, I think the prize has to go to Zotter. I took a look at a bar with an asparagus or artichoke and something or other filling and decided instead (whatever possessed me I do not know) to try the mustard and coffee bar. It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds, thought it is not something I would buy for myself (I got mine at Fog City News in SF) ever again.

There is another Austrian company I have heard of that is making camel's milk chocolate for sale in the middle east. I would definitely try it (at least once) just to know how it tasted different from cow's milk.

Views: 12024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only camel's milk chocolate I've tried is Al Nassma.  Ironically, I brought a bar to work today.  Only 2% camel milk powder, so not sure if what I'm tasting is camel milk or the honey they also add to it, but it's interesting. 

Al Nassma also makes chocolates with higher (up to 30 % if i recall) camels milk powder - i'd recommend trying it if you get the opportunity.

This weekend I tried making a  few truffles such as  a wasabi ginger truffle, ancho chili and cayenne truffle - made my own halvah and then prepared a halvah choco truffle - much better Halvah then the store bought - I like to work with spices - like fennel and sea salt - that has been received well.  Also spicy chili mango with pepitas and sea salt - in bittersweet chocolate - I was busy this weekend - :)  Ggirl - I like working with basil  and sage would be interesting... I love the smell of fennel when I am toasting it -before I use it in a recipe....even tried making a curry with hot and sweet curry powder in dark chocolate - trying it out on my clients this week....

This thread is truly inspiring. I can see I have a lot of tasting to do. Thanks everyone for helping me prove my theory - chocolate goes with everything!

Even anchovies.

I believe it!

Oh wow! Can you imagine those doughnut holes with anchovies stuck through them that they serve at the restaurant Noma in Copenhagen dipped in chocolate?    !!!

Hi Clay, I had hoped you were in Manhattan or Brooklyn (as I'll be there May 22&23) so that I can see you. I'm visiting from the Philippines, where 5+ yrs ago I planted cacao on a whim because I chanced upon left-over & cheap seedlings. Finding that they fruited in ~4 yrs & that I can make Cacao Bean chocolates (not Bean-to-Bar as I make bonbons), I have since been having lots of fun after learning from you & others at 'thechocolatelife' & finding people liking my 'artisan' bitter products. Speaking of inclusions, I use Philippine Dried Mangoes, Roasted Cashews & Candied Guyabano. I very much would like to send you some to try. Please email me an address at . I am excited to get your feedback although I know I still have to learn more; get better equipment (designed & built by me in the Philippines to make them affordable); use better processes; plant better varieties; etc. Mabuhay & best regards, Gerry

Oh my goodness Gerry, that sounds amazing! I'm so impressed and intrigued. If I ever get to the Philippines, I'll have to come visit.

HeraldFeb13Hannainred1 160Melbourne's Chocdiva Dr hanna FrederickFamed for her innovative chocolate creations, Dr Hanna Frederick of Mámor Chocolates & High Tea Szalón is back to her creative best, this time creating chocolates infused with red wine from McLaren Vale, South Australia.

onion-pear-wine 340Mámor's Red Onion Confit and Poached Pear Chocolate TrufflesHanna isn’t your average chocolatier. A food chemist by profession, she loves a culinary challenge and has already brought the world Kangaroo salami chocolate, beer infused chocolate, garlic chocolate, and even aphrodisiac chocolate to rave reviews.

Now she turns her attention to the produce of her adopted country along with the flavours of red wines from ‘the greatest wine region in the world’ along with spicy and delicious local ingredients.

“The wines of Australia are just extraordinary,” says Hanna. “We’ve done chocolate wine-matching before, but never with wine-flavoured chocolate, so we thought, let’s do it!”

She partnered with a local wine distributor Re-Find Wines for the project, eventually opting for a Way Wood Shiraz 2009 (McLaren Vale) as the perfect ingredient for her chocolate creations.

And after a month of experimentation, the result is two outstanding examples of chocolate couture that would inspire any dedicated foodie.

Hanna’s Mámor ‘Red Onion Comfit Chocolate Truffle’ has glorious Way Wood Shiraz, balsamic vinegar, and orange marmalade tastes.

And her finale, the Mámor ‘Poached Pear Chocolate’ combines Shiraz with lemon, cinnamon, Victorian Pepperberry, and well-ripened, locally grown Corelli pears. 

Hanna said that the ingredients certainly presented their challenges, but likewise inspired surprising results.

“We had so much fun creating these chocolates, making sure that there were many delicious flavours, but ensuring that the rich tones of the Shiraz shone through,” says Hanna.

“We couldn’t add cream to some of the ingredients, so experimented with spring water instead, which resulted in a wonderfully tasty, yet low-fat chocolate – in fact both chocolates are able to be labeled Vegan, something we intend to do a lot more!

“They may be the first of many Vegan truffles in Melbourne?!” said Hanna.

Andrew Wood, wine maker for Way Wood and sommelier, praised the complementary wine and chocolate making philosophy and noted the subtleties of the Mámor wine match.

“We were just delighted by the chocolate creations Hanna developed from our Way Wood Shiraz,” says James Atkinson of Re-Find Wines.

“Hanna’s abilities with chocolate are un-matched and it is an honour to see her in action with our Shiraz.

“We often say that there are chocolate notes in our Shiraz, but now we can say there is Shiraz in our chocolate!” he said.

For more information or high resolution photos, contact:

Dr Hanna Frederick; Mámor Chocolates & High Tea Szalón; Ph: +61-3-9419-3869 or Mobile+61-435-622-446, email: hanna@mamorchocolates.com

153 Johnston Street, Collingwood (Melbourne), VIC 3066 Australia

www.mamorchocolates.com

James Atkinson; Re-Find Wine, Rediscover Real Australian Wine; Mobile: 0408377702; email: refindwine1@gmail.com

www.refindwine.com.au

Hi Everyone,

This is a really amazing thread I am glad I have found it. I have just set up a chocolate company and I thought my flavours were brave, how wrong I was. Some of these flavours sound truly amazing, the olive in white chocolate sounds really good. It makes my flavours such as dulse seem a bit boring! I will go back to the drawing board and re double my efforts. Has anyone tried or heard of a smocked chocolate before? I wounder if that would work...

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.