The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hello!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the least amount of air bubbles possible when doing molded (polycarbonate) molding?

Right now, we do our airbrushing, let that sit for awhile (30-60 minutes, sometimes longer) and fill the molds.  We definitely have better luck on molds that are flatter on the inside, if that makes sense but the ones that have a design in them seem to give us some problems.

I'm wondering if we might be able to do things like thin out the chocolate with cocoa butter (prior to tempering), or maybe even use a paint brush very lightly to 'push' the chocolate into the corners.  It's not all corners.

Also - does anyone make just shells ahead of time?  You know like make shells, and just store them in something like a humidity controlled, cooled unit until maybe the next day for filling and capping?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Brian

Views: 1915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Wim - we do actually have a vibrating table - will also try the rubber hammer! I'm up for trying anything that will work!

Brian
100% sure it will work , I have learned this in Belgium, let me know if it helps .
Just finished a 2 year schooling in Belgium to become a chocolatier.

look at the internetsite : www.callebaut.com (very interesting).

Wim
For the higher detail mold I always heat my molds to the working temp of the chocolate. That way the chocolate is not cooling right when it hits the mold. It gives the vibrating table a better chance of getting the bubbles out.
Great advice -thanks Brad!
What are you using to heat the molds - control the temp.
I've found that some molds are more prone to bubbles (like the ones with sharp right angles or points), especially if your using Belgian chocolate that is less viscous and produces a "medium" shell. With the real problem molds, the only technique that's worked for me is to paint a very thin layer into the mold and then mold. Even when I hold the mold on the vibrator for a long time, if it's a thicker chocolate, I'll still have trapped bubbles.
Jennifer,

Belgium Chocolate should not gives you problems, pay attention to the numbers of **** on the product, the best Belgium chocolate for moulds is chocolate with 4 ****
For sharp right angels or points use a toothpick or cocktail stick before shaking/ vibrating.
Thanks Jennifer - appreciate your input. We've gotten things all in order since I started this post and things are running smoothly!

Brian
That's great! I just reread my post though and wanted to correct my typo -- of course the more viscous chocolate produces a medium (rather than thin) shell. Verhagen is right on with the star designation. So I've had experience with the 811NV Callebaut Dark. It has three drops (or stars) for liquidity. For me it produced a thicker shell than say, Valrhona's Equatoriale Noir, after it was tempered. Good luck with your chocolate adventures!
Do you vibrate the molds after spraying them?
Never mind, for some reason the response thread did not appear when I first responded...so, it seems you are getting some great advice.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.