EcoSocial certification aims at auditing businesses, farms and groups of producers through human, social, environmental and economical development criteria. To be certified operations must present an initial diagnostic, pointing the social and environmental demands to be overcome. The operation must present an Action Plan detailing how the improvements will be implemented, with the purpose to fulfill all the minimum criteria listed in the Guidelines and, at least, two progress criteria related to environmental development and two related to the human and social, during the year of certification.
Criteria for Environmental Development:
* Adjustment to environmental legislation and regularization along environment agencies;
* Environmental Conservation;
* Environmental Recovery;
* Adequate management of water resources;
* Adequate management of solid residues;
* Adequate management of liquid effluents;
* Adequate management of gaseous effluents;
* Biodiversity conservation and increment;
* Reduction of environmental impacts generated by the production activity;
* Reduction in the emission of greenhouse effect gases;
* Support to Environmental Education;
* Other environmental aspects specific to each operation.
Criteria for Human and Social Development:
* Commitment to Transparency;
* Lawful property;
* Adjustment to labor legislation and regularization along labor agencies;
* Support to union workers;
* Increment on work safety and salubrity;
* Equal ri9ghts and benefits to full time and part time workers;
* Partaking in results;
* Workers training;
* Training for producers groups management;
* Technical training for groups of producers;
* Ban to child labor;
* No discrimination: social, racial, religious, political, gender;
* Support to fundamental and continued education;
* Improvement on living, food and health conditions;
* Support to the woman worker, support to the pregnant and lactant;
* Support to the aged;
* Prevention and support to addictions users of tobacco, spirits and drugs);
* Support to social organization and participation;
* Other social aspects specific for each operation.
Criteria for Economical Development:
* Promoting a fair trade relationship;
* Support to open, transparent and durable negotiations among the parties;
* Foment Social and Environmental Development in the productive chain, through payment
of EcoSocial Premium;
* Establishment of better production practices aiming at product quality.
* In EcoSocial Program, some criteria are considered critical, in other words, they determine suspension or cancelling of certification, even if other criteria are being fulfilled. They are:
* Break of traceability.
* Deforestation non-authorized by environment agencies.
* Throw of effluents in water bodies in non conformity with Environment Laws.
ECOSOCIAL CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
CERTIFICATION SYSTEM ECOSOCIAL IBD – 8th Edition – doc 8_1_6 – september 2009
* Hunting, capture and trade of wild animals.
* Undue exploitation of the right to property.
* Inexistence of hiring and payment procedures with workers.
* Existence of discrimination: social, cultural, political, religious, ethnic, racial, sexual, age.
* Child labor.
* Forced labor.
* Workers exposed to risks without appropriate individual protection.
* The use of agrochemicals must happen under the responsibility of a properly trained
professional, and following the country’s norms.