The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Here is a list of bean to bar makers. It is not a list of ethical companies or artisan chocolate makers. It simply means that these companies all make their chocolate all the way from raw cacao beans to the molded bar. This list is the result of an ongoing project conducted at 70%, where members maintain a discussion and make attempts to verify that each company on this list actually makes chocolate from raw beans. The reason for verification is that sometimes companies wish to sound hip and trendy and so they claim to be bean bar. The idea is to have some type of definitive list going of who actually makes chocolate from the bean for RETAIL (not solely commercial, industrial, sale).

Africa

Madecasse (Madagascar)
Claudio Corallo (São Tomé)
Divine Chocolate

Australia
Haigh's Chocolates
Tava (factory is currently not operational)

Zokoko

Europe
Austria
Zotter

Belgium
Barry Callebaut
Pierre Marcolini

Denmark
Carletti
TOMS Gruppen

France
Bernachon
Bonnat 
Michel Cluizel
Pralus
Valrhona
Weiss

Germany
Euromar
Hachez
Herza
Ludwig
Ludwig Weinrich
Storck

Italy
Amedei

Antica Dolceria Bonajuto

Casa Don Puglisi

Cioccolato Peyrano
DeBondt
Domori
Ferrero
ICAM
Majani

Venchi

Spain
Chocovic (now owned by Barry Callebaut)
Natra

Sweden
Malmö Chokladfabrik

Swizerland
Confiserie Berner
Felchlin

United Kingdom
Cadbury-Schweppes
Red Star 
Sir Hans Sloane
Willie's Cacao

North America

Canada
Soma Chocolatemaker

United States
Amano
Askinosie

Bittersweet Origins

Black Mountain Chocolate
Cacao Atlanta
Cacao Prieto 
DeVries
Escazu

Fresco Chocolate

Guittard

Jacques Torres (no longer in production)
Kraft
Lindt (not a US company)
Mars
Mast Brothers

Mindo Chocolate Maker
Nestle (technically not a US company)

Oakland Chocolate Company

Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory
Patric Chocolate

Potomac Chocolate

Rogue Chocolatier
Scharffen Berger

Snake and Butterfly

Taza
TCHO
Theo

Latin America/ Caribbean
AMMA (Brazil)
Chocolates Condor (Bolivia)
Chocolates Para Ti(Bolivia)
Cooperativa Naranjillo (Peru)
Cotton Tree Chocolate (Belize)
Danta Chocolate (Guatemala)
El Castillo del Cacao (Nicaragua)
El Ceibo (Bolivia)
El Rey (Venezuela)
Fenix (Argentina)
Grenada Chocolate Company (Grenada)
Hacienda Bukare (Venezuela)
Kallari (Ecuador)
Momotombo Chocolate Factory (Nicaragua)
Pacari (Ecuador)
Rain Republic Chocolate (Guatemala)
Santander (Colombia)

Tags: bean-to-bar, chocolate-makers

Views: 9969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, I just saw an updated article
Could a company that starts from nibs be considered bean to bar? I know that is not "bean to bar" but what do you think. I know a company that does this.
The reason I asked is that this guy does just what you mentioned of making chocolate from raw unroasted nibs. Sounds pretty crazy but he is sending me some samples for me to try as I am going to be getting him some of the nibs from a few other countries. I can't wait to try it. So, in this case do you think it qualifies as bean to bar?
Thanks for the insight. I was just curious as to whether or not he should be added to the list.

In his case the reason he uses nibs is that he is a new company and small ans doesn't have the money to buy the winnower yet. Maybe when he gets a little bigger he'll truly become bean to bar.

By the way, any idea what a winnower would cost? Do they make small ones. The cheapest I have found is $70,000.
That is the least expensive cocoa bean winnower being manufactured in the US or Europe--by far. You can find some used machines for less than that, but they'll need quite a bit of work.
I posted a couple of links to less expensive options in a forum thread on Winnowers in the Home Brew Chocolate group. Sam Madell posted a picture of the winnower she mentions below in Photos.
How did you do that? I would love to know. As of now I have to pay almost double for them when I get them from different growers. I'd love to try to make my own.
Hi Samantha, We are looking into the possibility of making our own winnower. Do you have any tips? What sort of volume can your machine do? How much did you spend on it if you don't mind me asking? Are you happy with it?
Any help would be much appreciated since there just doesn't seem to be many resources out there on winnowing machine design or even companys that make them for sale.
Steve
Just for the record, Sacred Chocolate is both a WHOLE BEAN WITH SKIN to Bar company as well as a nib to Bar company. We include the skins of the beans in the chocolate we make for nutritional reasons. The vast majority of the naturally occuring iron in cacao amongst other phyto-nutrients show up in the skins. (just like virtually all the calcium in sesame seeds show up in the skins or husks of the seed). Sometimes we mix processes as well as do single types of processes to achieve both unique flavor an nutritional profiles. We do very "out of the box" chocolate making. We only use raw nibs and raw beans for nutritional reasons. We only stone grind.
Steve
Hawaii, Kauai
Garden Island Chocolate
Sacred Chocolate is a Bean to Bar Manufacturer of Chocolate Bars located in San Rafael, CA USA. http://www.SacredChocolate.com
I'm currently tasting a bar (Ecuador 75%) by Baratti & Milano, an Italian company. It appears that they are fondeurs NOT B2B. Can someone confirm this?

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.