The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Here is a list of bean to bar makers. It is not a list of ethical companies or artisan chocolate makers. It simply means that these companies all make their chocolate all the way from raw cacao beans to the molded bar. This list is the result of an ongoing project conducted at 70%, where members maintain a discussion and make attempts to verify that each company on this list actually makes chocolate from raw beans. The reason for verification is that sometimes companies wish to sound hip and trendy and so they claim to be bean bar. The idea is to have some type of definitive list going of who actually makes chocolate from the bean for RETAIL (not solely commercial, industrial, sale).

Africa

Madecasse (Madagascar)
Claudio Corallo (São Tomé)
Divine Chocolate

Australia
Haigh's Chocolates
Tava (factory is currently not operational)

Zokoko

Europe
Austria
Zotter

Belgium
Barry Callebaut
Pierre Marcolini

Denmark
Carletti
TOMS Gruppen

France
Bernachon
Bonnat 
Michel Cluizel
Pralus
Valrhona
Weiss

Germany
Euromar
Hachez
Herza
Ludwig
Ludwig Weinrich
Storck

Italy
Amedei

Antica Dolceria Bonajuto

Casa Don Puglisi

Cioccolato Peyrano
DeBondt
Domori
Ferrero
ICAM
Majani

Venchi

Spain
Chocovic (now owned by Barry Callebaut)
Natra

Sweden
Malmö Chokladfabrik

Swizerland
Confiserie Berner
Felchlin

United Kingdom
Cadbury-Schweppes
Red Star 
Sir Hans Sloane
Willie's Cacao

North America

Canada
Soma Chocolatemaker

United States
Amano
Askinosie

Bittersweet Origins

Black Mountain Chocolate
Cacao Atlanta
Cacao Prieto 
DeVries
Escazu

Fresco Chocolate

Guittard

Jacques Torres (no longer in production)
Kraft
Lindt (not a US company)
Mars
Mast Brothers

Mindo Chocolate Maker
Nestle (technically not a US company)

Oakland Chocolate Company

Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory
Patric Chocolate

Potomac Chocolate

Rogue Chocolatier
Scharffen Berger

Snake and Butterfly

Taza
TCHO
Theo

Latin America/ Caribbean
AMMA (Brazil)
Chocolates Condor (Bolivia)
Chocolates Para Ti(Bolivia)
Cooperativa Naranjillo (Peru)
Cotton Tree Chocolate (Belize)
Danta Chocolate (Guatemala)
El Castillo del Cacao (Nicaragua)
El Ceibo (Bolivia)
El Rey (Venezuela)
Fenix (Argentina)
Grenada Chocolate Company (Grenada)
Hacienda Bukare (Venezuela)
Kallari (Ecuador)
Momotombo Chocolate Factory (Nicaragua)
Pacari (Ecuador)
Rain Republic Chocolate (Guatemala)
Santander (Colombia)

Tags: bean-to-bar, chocolate-makers

Views: 10368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve:

If you take a look at my reply to Gretchen, you'll see that whether or not a specific step (e.g., roasting) is done is not at issue here.

The point is that you start with beans and end with finished chocolate and that all of the steps that are undertaken to get from Beans to Bars, for each and every batch, are performed or personally (as in in-person) supervised by the company making the claim.

:: Clay
Oh ok. If that is the case, Sacred Chocolate is a bean to bar maker. :-)
Hearts,
Sacred Steve
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/SCRIPTs/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.c...

"The cacao shell content is not more than 1.75 percent by weight"

As far as I can tell, leaving the husk in means you cannot call it chocolate.

Can you please tell me if I am wrong since you are a Raw company? I assume you have to follow FDA guidelines in your labeling?

Andrea
Andrea:

You are technically correct on this one. It makes no nevermind that they are making raw chocolate - they still need to be in compliance with the FDA standards of identity in order to call their product chocolate.

However, the company is so small that the FDA is not likely to take any action unless it becomes a food safety issue, i.e., someone files a complaint because they believe they got food poisoning from eating it.

:: Clay
FYI. We are under close supervision by the STATE OF CALIFORNIA Health Department on this. They are WELL aware of what we are doing, which is on the cutting edge of chocolate making in my opinion. We have supplied them with CofA's of our cacao beans showing all microbial analysis and water activity which is well below acceptable limits. To date, nobody has fallen ill from our chocolate. We have been in biz since the summer of 2006 with a 100% perfect record. We are also listed with the USDA and FDA.
You are selling interstate, are you not? If so then you are governed by the USDA and FDA and must adhere to their rules. The State of California can only make exemptions if you are selling strictly within their boundaries.
What exactly do you mean you are listed with the USDA and FDA?

Andrea
You should order some of our chocolate :-)
No thanks.
Are you going to answer my questions?

Andrea
are you going to taste some of our chocolate?
This is a common misunderstanding that we get accused of all the time, and I always have to point out the issue. The FDA is DEFINING a cacao nib, not chocolate. Of course, the VERY DEFINITION of a NIB, hinges on the fact that the HUSK is removed. Otherwise, it is still technically a bean if all the HUSK material is still included. What the FDA has done here is basically given a guideline to what a cocoa processor is allowed to leave in the finished NIB batch as far as leftover husks is concerned. As any bean to bar maker knows, it is VERY difficult to get 100% of the husk removed from the bean in any sort of automated process. The FDA is allowing some leeway here... (chocolate is a much different definition from cacao nib.)

Sec. 163.110 Cacao nibs.
(a)Description. (1) Cacao nibs is the food prepared by removing the shell from cured, cleaned, dried, and cracked cacao beans. The cacao shell content is not more than 1.75 percent by weight, calculated on an alkali free basis, as determined by the method prescribed in 163.5(a).
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/SCRIPTs/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.c...

(a)Description. (1) Chocolate liquor is the solid or semiplastic food prepared by finely grinding cacao nibs.

So in order to make cocoa liquor you must grind nibs as defined by the Standards of Identity. You must use cocoa liquor to make chocolate......

You can word it however you like, but you are not following the FDA guidelines to be able to call it chocolate. My problem with this is that there is a reason we have these guidelines. So you skip the one tiny detail. Big deal right? I find it is a huge deal, if it becomes standard to ignore federally mandated regulations that are set up to preserve the quality of American chocolate. What exactly makes your company exempt from following the same rules everyone else must follow?

Andrea
Like I said, we ARE on the CUTTING edge...please read my reply to Clay regarding the State of CA. We are not here to "break" the rules. Our goal is to marry EXCEPTIONAL flavor with EXCEPTIONAL nutrition, and a HUGE amount of the nutrition of the bean is in the Husk. Just like the skin of a sesame seed, skin of a cucumber or potato or orange, a lot of nutrtion is in the husk. For instance, the Cacao Bean is VERY high in iron, however, most of that IRON is in the husk. That is just one example. Our beans are harvested in a very proprietary fashion so that they are extremely clean. They are sold at retail as whole beans with skins for human consumption they are so clean. They actually look like almonds and are mistaken for such CONSTANTLY at our demos and tastings. I am happy to email you a picture separately and privately if you wish.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.