The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hi. I am looking for the best chocolate to be used for making fondue. I don't want any oils, waxes, etc to make it flow better, as I won't be using a fountain.

Also, does anyone have an extra-special or unique recipe for fondue? Thanks!

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JC:

Personally, I like fondues that are little more than warm-ish ganaches that are a bit on the thin side. Use any chocolate you like to eat. If you won't eat it, don't use it for fondue.

I like to do a mix of dark and milk chocolates and use both butter and cream. Lately, I've been using a hot chocolate mix from La Siembra/Cacao Camino (Rodd Heino, a ChocolateLife member, works there) that has mild Mexican/Mayan spices in it. A little chile-pepper heat with some cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. The spices add some roundness and depth and complexity to the richness of the chocolate/butter/cream mixture and will complement most fruits or other foods you'll be dipping in the fondue. I use just enough to make the flavor present without calling attention to itself. I add the powdered mix to the cream to dissolve it completely. I start out with about 50gr to 1kg chocolate, how much I use depends on the kind(s) of chocolate I use.

I melt 1kg of chocolate in a double boiler until completely melted and then let cool to about 98-100F. I add the butter (1 stick, cut into pats) and mix with a balloon which until it is fully incorporated. The ganache will be very glossy. Then, also with the balloon whisk, incorporate warm (also about 98-100F) cream (how much cream depends on the fat content of the cream and the fat content in the chocolate - I just eyeball it). I'd start out with at least 200gr, making sure it is fully incorporated before checking the consistency. If it's too thick, add more cream in 50-100gr increments until it's where you want it. Keep the fondue/ganache warm to serve as it will thicken if you let it cool down.

I don't like most fondue pots because the gel heat source is usually too high and it usually scorches the bottom - well, at least for me it does. So, look for a small chafing dish with a water bath or use one of those small crock pots.

:: Clay
I know you said no oil, but I love to use a good olive oil (Lucini or Laudemio are favs) and infuse it with flavors of your choice (typically I use cocoa nibs and vanilla pod, cook for an hour at 80C, you can also use citrus peel, whole spices, etc) and I add to melted chocolate so everything is about 45C until the desired consistency is reached.

cheers,

Rob
You could do all this with cocoa butter, no?
True, or bacon fat, coffee, water, lark's vomit... or really anything that is liquid within the required temperature range.

I use infused olive oil, because I love the warmth in the throat afterward, adds a nice dimension to the warm fondue and I love the flavor. One could also argue that it is slightly healthier.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.