The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hi! My name is Esteban, from Argentina. I decided to post this discussion because I'd like to know if it is possible to apply lacca or something to improve the brightness on chocolate.

I attache this image as an example of what I'm looking for. I bought this chocolate, and I can sure you that it hasn't photoshop.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Regards,

Esteban

Views: 742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It work, but the shiny change a little bit based on the mold shape. Anyway I could get the shiny of the picture attached on this discussion.

I also heard you can leave your chocolates on the molds and they come out shinier. Never tried it, but this was said by Greg Cook from Chocolate Arts :) he also mentioned the sprayed cocoa butter/chocolate on the molds. I'm glad it worked for you.

Daniela, I also realized that leaving the chocolates on the molds the shiny improves. Unfortunatelly, I don't have enought molds!

When you get the shine right, it can be spectacular, but takes a lot of practice and some extra techniques to get it super shiny - I have attached one of ours to show the shine we achieve. No glaze, nothing added, just manipulating the coca butter pretty much in the manner laid out here (a couple of other things as well but nothing overly substantial)

Attachments:

Amazing!!!

Is it possible to share with us those techniques you mention?

Thanks!!!

I'd also add that proper care of your molds will be critical for you to continue getting good shine. If you clean them with something abrasive, they'll stop shining. If you use a soap that leaves behind a film, they'll stop shining. You may consider "pre tempering" your cocoa butter before applying it by cooling it a bit, and vigorously rubbing it into the cavity with your finger. Also, if you're using a colored cocoa butter spray for decoration, no need to first apply a pure ccb film.

Hi Sebastian,

What do you mean with "pre tempering"?

How should I clean the molds? Just water? Cold water?

Thanks!!

Many people don't clean their molds - they'll use the same one over and over for a given type of chooclate.  Of course that only works if your temper is perfect each time, and if you're using the same colors each time.

I'm a fan of just using hot water.  If your water is hard, you'll have to find a way to remove the minerals that are deposited behind - sometimes a cotton ball to buff it out works, but over time even that'll scratch up the molds.

If all of the pieces are round, they may have been polished and glazed through panning.  If they are you can taste it just before the chocolate melts.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.