The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I am from India and am facing problems while wrapping chocolates, especially during the summer season. I would like to mention that I do not have an air conditioner in my house, where the manufacturing process takes place. By the time I complete wrapping a few molded chocolates, the others become saggy, and I have to melt and mold them again.

I read somewhere that adding a bit of paraffin wax helps resolve this problem. Is this true. If not, can anybody please provide me with a solution? Thanks in advance.

Sanjay

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

Sanjay , actualy you should cool chocolate in the lower compartment. Cooling in the lower compatment means you have to wait long time to de-mold. and there arise the need of more nomber of moulds, that is why i suggested you the other method.    The ideal temprature for cooling chocolate is around 10%celsius. 

Now you can do all this with out much care only because you are using compound.  But if u deal with chocolate things will be different. Then you have to do a three point tempering and slow cooling for good result.                

Ramya, thanks a lot for the tip. I'll try to purchase some more moulds and see if I can persuade my wife to empty one of the other compartment of the fridge. I guess I also need to invest in a scientific thermometer to check the temperature of the lower compartment of the fridge.

Yes, you are true. I am using compounds right now. However, once I gain experience and locate people who are willing to pay more, then I will deal with the real chocolate stuff, like as beans, cocoa butter etc. I am sure I can fall back on your guys at that time to hold my hand and guide me. Thanks a million.

Hi Sanjay

I just thought I would chime in on this conversation.

In India where the humidity is high you must take care not to pull your chocolate out of the cooler at a temperature lower than the air moisture condensation point. If you do, the moisture will instantly condense onto the cold surface of the chocolate and you will get sugar bloom or fat bloom. As Ramya has said, the best way is to air condition the room, this does two things, it removes moisture from the air by condensation on the coils of the aircondtioner (thats why air conditioners always drip) and it lowers the temperature of the room making it more chocolate friendly. If you cant air condition the room, just be careful not to introduce cold chocolate into a humid room.

Karl

Hi Karl, Thanks a lot for your post. I have mentioned in a different thread about the problems I am facing in setting up an air-conditioner right now. I have recently shifted into a new apartment and the power bills are still being issued in the name of the previous owner. I am not sure about the other cities of India, but in Kolkata, we require a written permission from the electricity board before installing an air-conditioner. However, in order to apply for that, the meter has to be registered in my name. This can take anything from 3-6 months. Will it suffice if I install a dehumidifier instead?

I think Sanjays idea of keeping the chocolate in an airtight container is best, just be sure to let the chocolate come to room temperature before you open the container. A dehumidifier is just an airconditioner with an element in it to reheat the air once it has passed through the  condenser (dehumidified), perhaps you can hack it to turn off the element?

Karl

Hi Karl, I believe you mean Ramya's idea. I agree that a dehumidifier removes moisture from the air just like an air conditioner. However, I doubt if simply turning off the element will help cool the atmosphere.

Sorry yes I meant Ramya.

I wont argue about the element in the dehumidifier, you can research that.

If I was in your position I would make an insulated cabinet and put a heat exchanger in it (a heater element out of a car, or an oil cooler, or a small radiator), pass icewater through the heat exchanger in/out, and have a fan recirculate air through the coils and around the cabinet.

You can make an air conditioner quite easily and cheaply with a bit of effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NmRaEbB18

The heat exchanger will produce water, this needs to be allowed to run outside the cabinet. Remember you are trying to cool the bars in a dry environment. You dont want  any water in the cabinet to evaporate again when you heat it to room temp.

Once again, you need to be careful not to pull the cold bars out in to the hot & wet room.

To heat the air again in the cabinet (prior to pulling the bars out) you can pass hot water through the same heat exchanger, monitoring the temperature inside the cabinet

I bit of mucking around but it will work i think.

If your room is so warm that the bars melt then you have another different problem to solve, how to cool your room.

Karl

Hi karl , You given important inputs into this discussion, Thanks a lot

Anish Pallivathukal joseph

Thnx for the DIY AC advice Karl

I'm sorry, but health concerns prevented me from replying earlier. Karl, thanks a ton for the suggestion. I'll check it as soon as I get a bit better.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service