The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Suddenly my health department wants me to clean and sanitize all my molds between uses.

Do you guys do that?

Does anyone know of any regulations from any health department anywhere that covers cleaning chocolate molds?
We have in the past cleaned them when there is cross contamination or anything other than chocolate on them,

and I have always been told never to put them in the bleach water.

I've seen some employees sanitizing a few molds before I stopped them, and I don't see anything going wrong with those molds. Is that an Old Wives Tale?

Views: 833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested to hear replies, too.  My health department expects everything to be sanitized in a dishwasher, with temperature sensitive stickers to prove that the water got up to 160F.   But I also keep reading that you should never wash molds, etc.   

I contacted the manufacturer of my polycarbonate molds, and they specifically said DON'T put them in the dishwasher . . . now what?

My local health dept. is great when it comes to this, they know their stuff and don't bust my chops about not sanitizing my molds. Once the chocolates are out of the molds I put the molds into my warming cabinet and then wipe out the excess chocolate, then use cotton cosmetic wipes to shine them and they are ready to use again. The health dept. is fine with this method. If there is something stubborn stuck in the mold such as caramel I run it under hot water and dry it quickly as to not leave water marks on them.

I tried this method for nearly a year and every single piece of chocolate came out of the molds looking like there were finger prints all over them. Mind you, I followed this method, polishing them with cotton cosmetic wipes, and could never get a perfect shinny result. Long, frustrating story, short, I rinse them in hot water and then I put them through the dishwasher. Now, every single molded piece comes out with a perfectly bright shine. Spotless. No finger prints. Just gorgeous!  So all this talk about not putting molds in the dishwasher certainly doesn't hold-water in my experience.

If you are just using chocolate in the molds and not egg products, then there is no need to.  Some health inspectors need to be educated with regard to the risk of chocolate as a confection (almost zero).  Your inspector probably just doesn't know.

 

I just went through a thorough inspection of a new store with a health inspector who wasn't familiar with chocolate.  He looked at the solid chocolate in my tempering machines (the bloom kind of looks like crystally mould), and asked how often we wash them.  I told him "We don't."  He was very surprised.  I then had to explain to him about water and chocolate, and the moisture content in chocolate not being conducive to pathogen growth.  After that, he was fine.

 

If you still have trouble, go over your inspector's head and get the straight goods from his/her supervisor.

 

Having said that, maybe your shop is so messy that they just said "this guy's a pig and needs to clean EVERYTHING."  (not that I'm saying you're messy.  I just don't know.)

 

Cheers.

Brad

 

Hope that helps.

Hello Everyone

So I get some free moulds a few weeks ago. I was very happy about this. After getting them home I found a lot of little black specks in the detail parts of the moulds. The moulds were outside in a storage unit. Are these dark specks normal? Meaning left over chocolate ad someone did not clean these out very good? I took  Q-tips and paper towels to the moulds after runing through the dishwasher.  Some of the dark spots came out but some did not. I am not sure if they did not come out due to not being able to reaching in to the small detailed space or if the are embedded in the mould. Does any one have a better way to get in to these small spaces with out scratching the mould?  I have add pictures. Please tell me what you think. I only ask because I would never put chocolate in it for someone if I would not eat out of it my self.

Attachments:
Use these instructions. You can use these cleaning agents for Lexan & Polycarbonate.
When Lexan sheet is first installed, glazing compound and masking paper adhesive can be easily removed by applying naphtha (VM &P) or kerosene with a soft cloth, followed immediately with a thorough soap and water cleaning. DO NOT USE GASOLINE. Adherence to regular and proper cleaning procedures is recommended to preserve appearance.

Washing to minimize Scratching
Wash Lexan Sheet with a mild soap or detergent (e.g., Joy** dishwashing liquid) and lukewarm water using a clean sponge or a soft cloth. Rinse well with clean water. Dry thoroughly with a chamois or moist cellulose sponge to prevent water spots. Do not scrub or use brushes on these products: their coating is UV-resistant, not mar-resistant.

Fresh paint splashes, grease, and smeared glazing compounds can be removed easily before drying by rubbing lightly with a grade of VM&P Naphtha or isopropyl. Afterward, a warm final wash should be made, using a mild soap or detergent solution and ending with a thorough rinsing with clean water.

Minimizing Hairline Scratches
Scratches and minor abrasions can be minimized by using a mild automobile polish. Four such products that tend to polish and fill scratches are Johnson Paste Wax, Novus Plastic Polish #1 and #2 (Novus Inc., Minneapolis, MN), Mirror Glaze plastic polish(m.G.M10 – Mirror bright Polish Co., Pasadena, CA), and Plexus* (B.T.I. Chemical, Aguora, CA). It is suggested that a test be made on a sample of Lexan sheet with the product selected and that the polish manufacturer's instructions be followed.

Some Important "Don'ts"
- DO NOT use abrasive or highly alkaline cleaners on Lexan sheet products.
- Never scrape Lexan sheet products with squeegees, razor blades or other sharp instruments.
- Benzene, gasoline, acetone, or carbon tetrachloride should never be used on Lexan sheet products.
- DO NOT clean Lexan sheet products in hot sun or at elevated temperatures.

Compatible Cleaners for Lexan Sheet Products
The following cleaning agents have been found compatible with Lexan sheet. The manufacturer's recommendations and instructions should be followed.
- Joy**
- Freon T.F.
- Palmolive liquid***
- Top Job**
- VM&P grade Naphtha
- Windex with Ammonia D****
Paul

I had a health inspection in Chicago last year, and when the inspector asked me how I sanitize my molds (I don't; I never use water or cleaners), I showed her photocopies of instructions on mold care from 3 companies and 3 textbooks that all said absolutely not to wash them. She was fine with it after all that...

You can try to use hair dryer to clean de molds with high F winds.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service