The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

G'day...

Does anyone have a great method for cleaning there polycarbonate molds. Everyone I read tells me opposing ideas and I only just got new ones and already am getting streaks in them. I have tried cotton balls but am not finding them effective enough and also worry that it takes off the protective cocoa butter layer..

I would love some suggestions. thanks

Views: 2319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lots of folks recommend Cotton Batting.
Ultrasonic bath filled with deionized water. ~$250 for a perfect, long term, scalable solution. Shake dry and then rest inverted on a rack.

The cocoa butter layer is a myth.
I agree that deionized water is a good choice, especially for rinsing. If you do wash with soap, make sure to use one with no added abrasives (you may need to call the manufacturer), and that has a pH of as close to 7 as possible. Also, don't use water that is too hot. Polycarbonate is still able to absorb moisture, and will if the water is too hot. This will greatly reduce the life of the molds by weakening them.

If you rinse with deionized water, you won't need to dry with cotton or anything else, simply shake dry, as DIAA notes, and then invert on a dish rack.
Where do you find this deionized water...and which part costs $250? Anybody know?
Deionized water is typically availible as an option of the bulk water dispenser in your local grocery store (you should not drink it though, it is very unstable and will bond to electrolytes in your body, dehydrating you) for about $0.30 a gallon.

The ultrasonic bath costs start at about $250. It isn't required, but I find they do the best job of cleaning everything and since no soap is required and it has other purposes.
I have to admit its an exposive way to clean. For me just good old Pasadena water & Cheese cloth.
If I do bother to polish - I use a very fine, soft piece of microfibre that feels like suede, or lint free guaze lap sponges - the type used in the operating room. Both work very nicely. I never wash my molds with soap, just hot water and a sponge.
I am also very carefull with my molds. Why can't I use soap? If not, what can I use? Thanks.
I am also very carefull with my molds. Why can't I use soap? If not, what can I use? Thanks.
Soap is fine, e.g. Palmolive Dish Liquid, just don't use something with abrasives and rinse well so no soap residue remains.
Hi,
We've had very good success with a natural [untreated with cleaning chemicals, etc] chamois. FYI, the Sham-wow does not work well so don't try to substitute. Natural chamois are available at auto supply stores usually.
good luck!
When I clean my molds I go ahead and wash in hot water then allow to air dry on a cooling rack upside down. Once they are dry I will then buff with cheese cloth. By using cheese cloth you do no scratch the molds or leave lint or any other impruties in the mold.
I just called a purified water delivery place and they told me that the reverse osmosis process is a deionizing process?? I am unsure about this as when I google 'deionized water' it lists the process separate from reverse osmosis. Yet another site described deionized water as demineralized water - which reverse osmosis water is. So now I'm thoroughly confused... DIAA - you seem to understand the water subject - can you shed some light on this? Thanks!

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.