Great question. I have an ongoing list:
- better located HVAC vents for even flow and avoiding drafts near crucial work areas
- counter height or ceiling/pull down electrical outlets
- great lighting for decorating (I did this right the first time and have loved it)
- cabinetry with drawers for organized and protected molds storage
- future possibility of an entire "cool room" instead of a wine cooler or walk-in
- space for a packaging station, if you're planning on shipping or doing retail
Hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing your list, Heather! You mention cabinetry in your list: is most of your equipment and ingredient storage built-in? This is a point of contention for us right now–rolling racks are more versatile, but built-ins would protect equipment so much better. Thanks again!
I would recommend against fixed cabinetry for two reasons:
1. Chances are you aren't going to be at that location forever, so you don't have to worry about losing a TON of money invested in millwork that you can't remove. and MORE IMPORTANTLY:
2. The health inspectors LOVE when you can move cabinets, and clean underneath them so as to eliminate hiding places for pests. All of our counters are moveable, and we never ever have issues with the health department.