The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Does anyone have any experience with these melters?  They seem to be a great price at less than $500 for an 18kg chocolate melter. 

I just want to make sure I'm not throwing money at a melter that won't hold a stable temp.

Thanks!

Views: 1212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Ben for checking this out.  I placed an order yesterday for one. Even if it won't work for tempering in it I will be able to use it to keep melted chocolate on hand to refill the chocovision.
No problem George! While I haven't tested it for tempering, I actually believe it would work (assuming the temp range they gave me is accurate). It seems to hold a steady temperature, so you should be able to temper with it just like you would with a mol d'art.

Just wondering if anyone has tried tempering chocolate in the food warmer mentioned in this discussion.

While I haven't attempted to temper in it, I have been using it for the past couple months as a chocolate melter, and can say that it works great. I stick to  the lowest 2 1/2 settings and have had no issues with scorching. At level 2 1/2, the bottom of the warmer (where the heating element is) got over 180, but the bottom of the pan of chocolate never went above 140.

Panasonic Inverter Technology Microwave, 2.5 cubic feet.

I have tried it, and it didn't work for me.   It didn't work for melting either.  I left it overnight on the lowest setting and by morning the chocolate and cocoa butter had completely separated (way too hot)

That's for the webrestaurantstore.com melter, not the dessertshouse.com one.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I've been using it for a couple months now and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't left chocolate in it overnight, though. Generally, I'll put a pan of chocolate in it in the morning for tempering a few hours later.

I wonder if there's a way to have the power cut when the chocolate reaches a certain temp and then turned back on if it drops.

Ben -

It's possible to put a digital thermometer in the chocolate and attach it to a device that will turn the power on and off. However, you will only be measuring the temperature at one point, so I don't know how useful it will be.

:: Clay

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…