The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Any tips for making Gianduja at home? I'm interested in getting something like the dark gianduja that Domori makes.

Tags: gianduja

Views: 887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

such as: when to add the hazelnuts, anything different about tempering, molding, etc

Basically just thoroughly mix the melted chocolate with the hazelnut paste.  I've seen some makers in Italy refine/conche them together and others just mix.  Personally I just mix well with a stick blender.  

Here's a shot of our cremini, as you can see the gianduja is nice and smooth.  Any roughness visible in this pic is from the cutting.

cheebs - do you caramelise the hazelnuts first and then grind them down for your gianduja?

Lane - a gianduja is usually tempered at a lower temp . . . 27C is what I normally use.

I'm assuming that if I put the hazelnuts through a food processor first the Santha should be able to take it from there. I wouldn't think I'd need to buy paste. Make sense?

It does and that will work perfectly.  It only takes a few hours to get the paste super-fine.  Remember to de-hull the nuts!

What's the best way to de-hull?

Either a large colander or a wet cloth... Rub the hazelnuts against the screen of the colander or put them in the wet cloth, fold over itself and rub.

Gap... I only roast the hazelnuts... if caramelized I would then be making praliné (which I actually do make by caramelizing, running through the Champion with the blocking plate in and finishing for a half hour or so in the Santha)

Thanks cheebs - that's what I was curious about. When I've "made" a gianduja for chocolate work, I've done so by mixing hazelnut praline paste and chocolate. I was wondering if the grinders could take the nuts/caramelised sugar without any problems, but it sounds like they can if I pre-grind.

Cheers

Gianduja is one of my favorite topics :) It comes out great from the grinder after a few hours. We did pre-grind in the food processor to make it easier. 

The real pain is to quickly de-hull the hazelnuts. The rubbing on a wet cloth method works fine, but there are a few nuts which don't release their hull, it gets really hot and is time consuming. 

Any alternatives for a better process? Any equivalent to the small scale winnowers we use for cacao?

The second major issue is sourcing quality hazelnuts consistently and making sure they are not rancid when you buy them. Treat yourself to the 35 part Gianduja series from Dallas Food Org. 

To remove the hazelnut skins more easily:

1. In a medium saucepan with high sides, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda to the water – the water will foam up.

2. Add 1 cup hazelnuts to the boiling water and boil for about 3 minutes. The water will turn black – don’t be alarmed. While the hazelnuts are boiling, prepare a medium bowl of ice cold water. After three minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove one test nut, placing the nut into the prepared bowl of ice water. Use your fingers to remove the skin, if the skin doesn’t come off easily, boil the nuts 1-2 minutes longer and try another test nut.

3. When a test skin rubs right off, add the rest of the nuts to the ice water and peel them with ease.

4. Place peeled nuts into a kitchen towel or paper towels and dry them thoroughly.

5. If desired, toast the peeled and dried hazelnuts at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes - trust me it's so worth it!

Method from Alice Medrich

I forgot to ask, what's a reasonable range of chocolate to nuts? Can I do it without any milk powder or should I do at least a bit?

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.