The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I thought I knew chocolate and cacao but after visiting your website...

... I have figured out that I don't know much at all. I read and heard their were three varieties namely Criollo, Forastero and Trinatario. Just today have read a paper on new classification that names 10 genetic varieties. I look forward to reading through the forum threads and growing my knowledge of this fascinating bean its history and its apparent nutritional benefits.

The world has a view of chocolate (commercial sweet) which they directly relate to high % cacao chocolate and cacao products. I believe this is wrong and through this forum and research I want to find the truth and teach people this truth.

So please help me find the truth about this fascinating bean

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay. First, it isn't a bean, and the cacao seeds don't really come from a pod either:
http://patric-chocolate.blogspot.com/2008/07/cacao-fruit-mystery-co...

Enjoy!
Criollo and Forastero are the two basic types. Trinatario is a hybrid of the two. Today they have been so cross bred and with the unique contributions from the environment you hear of over a dozen new types, many named by where they are grown. 3 good resources for information are from Minifie, Beckett, and for more on the farm information, Cook. There is also a book with nothing but pictures of beans.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.