The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

We've got a diet center next to us, and we have our fair share of diabetics who want to enjoy some of our products but want a lower sugar or lower GI product.  Since we source our chocolate and never need to add any sugar it's farther up the stream than we can control.

To that end does anyone have recommendations for chocolate makers that excel at a lower sugar or GI reaction chocolate?

Tags: low, sugar, sugarfree

Views: 1907

Replies to This Discussion

Andy:

'Lily's Sweets'

'Coco Polo'

'Lucienne's'

and I believe Valrhona has a line as well.

I use Coco Polo and have rave reviews with my truffles and candies. It isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination - even wholesale. THat being said I tried all kinds and liked Coco Polo the best. It tempers great and works with molds as well as hand dipped items. I also use it in cookies and muffins for personal consumption and they're great for that, too. 

I know that LUV out of Minneapolis/St. Paul has some but I didn't like theirs as well as Coco Polo - but their ice cream is excellent! Everyone has different tastes.

Cool Paul. I need to reopen this case and pick up some for trial. It's about 1:100 customers who ask for something and its about time I figure out a solution. You're right though it's not cheap, but if its good and its what they need then I'm sure the cost shouldn't be a problem. :)

I am responding to the recent comments about low sugar/low GI chocolate bars. 

Within the past year I have focused on developing dark chocolate bars sweetened only with the natural sweeteners xylitol, erythritol, and stevia.  My husband is a chocoholic and had been urging me for a long time to develop sugar-free dark chocolate so that he could enjoy it and not have to deal with the harmful side effects of sugar.  I now have four variations of these chocolate bars in limited production.  They are all dark chocolate, low glycemic, and dairy-free.  The basic bar is 77% cacao and is sweetened only with xylitol and stevia; I have used this bar as a basis to develop two flavored versions, mint and raspberry.  The low carb bar is 75% cacao and is sweetened only with xylitol, erythritol, and stevia.  This low carb bar has been successfully tested by a Type 1 diabetic who verified by using a continuous monitor that there was little or no effect on her blood sugar levels. 

I am not making the chocolate bean to bar.  I start with unsweetened chocolate liqueur and add my own flavorings and sweeteners, then I mélange, temper, and mold.  I am looking into purchasing additional equipment so that I can produce these chocolate bars in larger quantities.  I’m currently selling these bars, as well as my other sugar-free products such as fudge, hot cocoa mix, brownies, dark chocolate glazed peanut butter cookies, and granola at local farmers markets.  I am planning to add the chocolate bars to my website after I have increased production and have the cold packaging developed for shipping in hot weather.

My goal has always been to create recipes and develop products that taste at least as good as, if not better than, the commercially available sugar-sweetened version of that recipe or product, and this has been verified by my customers.  I would love to hear from other folks  who are involved in making low GI chocolate.

Hi Andy & Karen

I make organic raw cacao chocolate (I use cacao powder and cacao butter) with coconut nectar and everyone loves them. I sell at the markets and it's a definite plus to tell people they are low GI (35) and I also only do dark chocolate so they don't need much sweetening. You have to be careful with Stevia. Yes it's good (I grow it here at home on the farm), but a lot of commercial Stevia has some nasty added ingredients that you may want to check out before using (some have artificial sweetener!!). Xylitol too has problems as it can be made from unhealthy starches like wood or corn stalks.

Karen, I has started using liquor but am having trouble getting a nice smooth runny chocolate, I added some cacao butter but it is still very think, can you share what ratios you use of liquor and butter :)

cheers

Deborah

There is dark and there is dark. :-)

Yes, they should stick to dark, but you can take some of the sting out of the dark chocolate by using more cocoa butter and less chocolate liqueur. Cocoa butter does not have much flavor, but it does have the smooth texture that melts in your mouth, which to me is almost half the chocolate experience. With less bitterness to combat, you won't need as much sugar to make a pleasant chocolate experience for the diabetics. Still, you probably want the chocolate to have some kick so that people are not shoveling them down like you might a Hershey's bar.

We make an 80% dark chocolate bar using an isomalt-based sweetener :) it works very good and it has a low GI. http://www.sweetwell.net/country.html

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.