The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I was looking through my molds and found some of them have what appears to be blemishes on the inside. It may also be the start of rust. These molds were my father's and I am not certain of the storage. I would like to explore having them refinished, but have no idea where or the cost. I am not a choclotier by any means, but some of the molds are rare and I enjoy making them at Easter for friends, or just showing them off.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are the backs of the moulds like? Are they really made of steel? Aluminium (sorry, UK spelling!) seems more likely. Try polishing or re-working an area on the back of a mould to see if you like the result before attacking the used side.
Duffy
Here are a couple of crude picts from one of them. It is an 18 1/2" mold, with only 8000 as a stamped ID on it. One of the blemishes can be seen as a black area in the bottom of the "basket"
Attachments:
Hi Steve,

We make and sell vriety of moulds (www.ipfco.com), but I have never had opportunity to work with a metal chocolate mould.

I had a look at the picture, and based on my experience of making metal tooling for our moulds, I would say as follows:

1. Most important - don't do any thing, till you are sure of what to do.
2. From the picture, it is difficult to know the metal of it. It can be aluminium, or tin plate. I know of some aluminium moulds with are made with Cast aluminium, but your mould does not look like them. It looks more a sheet metal.
3. The close up pictures are a bit blurred, but it seems, that inside of the mould, is in a much better condition, but out side surface does have blemishes. Inside blemishes, what ever they are, look very small.
4. What should I tell to you do??

a) If possible, show the mould to some hardware person, or an metal engineer to be sure, what metal it is.
b) Depending upon, metal, you get rust removing sprays, that you spray on effected surface, leave it for some time, and then scrub clean. A caution - after cleaning the surface may look dull, and may need shining, so, after removing rust, you will need to use a suitable polishing agent, and your hands to get back shine. Your neighbourhood hard ware store could give you necessary advise on this.
c) a very unlikely, but possible chance - what you think rust, is actually chocolate deposit. So, have a very close look. Use warm cloth or warm soapy water to rub it off, if it does. If it is stuck badly, use a wooden stick, like tooth pic, to scrap it out.

Just check on these, and if you think OK, please get back here with what ever results. Would love to know, what happened.

All the best.

Arun.
Steve.

Traditionally metal chocolate moulds were made of steal and then coated in tin. The industry has gone to plastic over the forty or so years.

Don't know if that helps??

brian
The little blemishes you see are called tin mite. You can try carefully polishing with some calcium carbonate powder (available in asian grocery stores) to try and remove them. If they are small enough they may not interfere too much with molding. I have also carefully applied a bit of naval jelly (a rust remover) before the polishing, but don't leave it on too long or it will eat in to the good metal.

I have quite a number of metal molds, and I find I like molding with the newer polycarbonate figural molds more, in part because I can see where I have bubbles and where I have painted the eyes etc on the mold. They also seem to fit together better and don't give me the little rim of chocolate that has to be trimmed off after molding.
Thanks for the info. I will try the polishing. Unfortunately, most of the molds are one-of-a-kind, or I just have not seen them anywhere. I am sure that there are lots of them out there. I have never seen polycarbonite versions of some of them.
You can get them re-tinned. http://www.metalcoatingcompany.com/history.html We were in the metal finishing business for years, but not in the tinning end of it. It is a hot dip process and they come out looking like new. I don't think it is all that expensive. Dairies have to get their milk cans re-tinned from time to time. It is FDA approved for food contact.
That is exactly what I was looking for. I will definately contact them! Thanks!

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service