The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I've already posted this question on the Homebrew Group, but without a response so far. I'm posting it here in hopes that I will get some feedback.

I am still getting fat bloom even after tempering the chocolate. I've tried molding at different temperatures (86 F to 89 F for dark chocolate) and two different methods (lowering temperature of whole batch to 82 F then up to 86F-89F versus taking about 1/3 to 1/2 of batch to cool and seed first then mix with rest), and I do it quite slowly to allow time for the beta V crystals to form.

The bloom appears most heavily on the underside of the mold (where the chocolate touches the plastic). Minor blooming occurs on the chocolate exposed to the air.

I don't get this problem when the batch is poured unto wax or parchment paper, when the molds are pre-cooled or when lecithin is used.

The tempering does work from the standpoint of melting times. I did blind tests with my family to confirm this.

I thought about this long, but cannot figure out why? Has anyone experienced this? Is their a solution?

Here's more info.
- The temperature of the house is around 72 F, very low humidity, winter here in Canada.
- Using organic unsweetened chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa butter from fermented, unroasted cocoa beans.
- Using powdered sugar.
- No emulsifiers used.
- Using tiny batches of 100 grams or less for experimentation.
- Use a heating pad and a digital candy thermometer which has been tested for accuracy.
- I control the rate of the temperature rising by lifting on and off the heating pad, a glass cup containing the tiny batch of chocolate.

Tags: Bloom, Chocolate, Fat, Molding, Problem

Views: 1913

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure. Glad I could help.

Alan

Hi, 

I have had similar problems when moulding my chocolates. Although my problems seams to be with the surface of the chocolate.  I am using the chocovision 3Z  tempering machine, the chocolate is well tempered but once it goes into the fridge the surface , that is the part not touching the mould  become streaked.  The rest of the of the chocolate is shiny and has nice snap.   I am wondering if there is an ideal refrigeration temperature for chocolate or if the room temperature is affecting the chocolate.  The thermometer in the fridge says 38 with 70% humidity.  Any suggestions on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

Wow...it's been a long time since I've been on this forum.    I've since found out that you need to cool the chocolates a lot faster.  This will reduce the blooming.  It explains why pre-cooling the molds helps.  You will get better results putting it right in the freezer and time it for about 5 minutes. After the chocolate is tempered, the faster it cools, the less time it has to form blooming.

Thank you for sharing that. We have been making chocolates in Oregon and I know on the rainy days when the humidity is high we have better success when we put our dipped chocolates
Directly in the freezer for just five minutes or so. They are shinier as well.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.