The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

It seems that many chocolate producers add cocoa butter to their ingredients. 

Since cocoa beans are approx 50% fat (cocoa butter) why would you need to add extra?

If you are producing a single origin bar, shouldn't this cocoa butter also be from the same origin?

Why then are there NO single origin cocoa butters available?

Views: 599

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Butter is like any other commodity - they'll produce what the majority users want.  Much of it is indeed deodorized - i'd be hard pressed to say if most of it is, however - but certain a lot of it is.  Almost all of it, deodorized or not - is blended to try to achieve consistency.  Cocoa beans are not always fermented, not always ripe, sometimes infested, sometimes rotten, etc.  Origin notwithstanding, all these things result in different physical and sensory profiles - blending helps round those out to achieve a stable commodity.

Shawn presses in the US BTW.  His cocoa powder certainly won't go to waste, it's in another of his products 8-)

This is what I suspected.  But for me it then raises the question of how honest the labelling is.

For instance an 80% pure Single Origin, from Land A.  This could have 40% cocoa butter from unspecified sources. So in actual fact only 40% cocoa mass would be from the the Land of Origin.

Therefore I would like to see clearly on the packaging..

Percentage cocoa mass from land of origin

Percentage sugar

Percentage added cocoa butter... from land of origin

Percentage added cocoa butter... from unspecified sources.

Julie;

There is a lot of deceptive labelling and naming in the chocolate industry.  "Percentage" and "origin" are just a couple misused terms.  To battle that, I have since day one, put the exact ingredients and their percentages by weight on the bars my company makes.

Brad

I press all my own butters... and I go so far as them being Plantation-Specific, not just origin-specific. It is outrageously expensive to do this, and if I weren't in the country of origin, I would not do it.  There's a video in my profile of the process.

And I don't use it in all of my chocolate, only in eating chocolate.  For couverture we use a local butter that is still quite nice, but nowhere near as awesome as the butters pressed from prime beans.

Even so, deodorized butter has its place in our operation.  For beans that we can't get enough of to press the butter from, in goes the DO butter.  We also use it for making a white chocolate that goes in ganaches and fillings.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.