The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I am wondering if anyone out there can give me some advice on tempering raw chocolate.  Is there a 'best' way to do this?  WHich items can I use with the greatest success?

Raw cacao butter, cacao powder, cacao paste?

Sweeteners would likely be raw agave and/or raw coconut nectar.  I could use some raw cane sugar if needed.  Also not opposed to using coconut sugar, although not raw it is highly nutritious.

I would also be using some raw sunflower lecithin, vanilla beans and/or extract.  possibly some carob powder. 

I've read lots of posts on this site and they have helped but not completely answered my questions to where I feel confident.

Any help would be appreciated.  I currently make and sell raw refrigerated chocolate and its great but want to also produce something that is shelf stable.

Jennifer

The Great Un-Baked!

Views: 3366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there are a few bars and truffles I have tried that are raw and are actually tempered and very good.  Most though leave alot to be desired like you said. 

I dont know much about conching but I hear it drives up the temperature and is hard for the person who does not have industrial equipment.  I would have to read up on it though.

Where theres a will theres a way!

Have a look at these http://shop.chocolatealchemy.com/collections/equipment they are even hobby sized. I may be getting confused mysef but i think a melangeur is basically a conche.

To work it appears the cacao liquor must be molten i.e. > 36 degrees C but presumably if you had a spot IR thermometer you to just switch the machine off if its getting too hot.

I'd also assume if you can modify the gearing you could in principle do a REALLY slow grind where the friction heat generated was mostly lost during the grind. I have also seen AC motor speed control where you could presumably lower the grind speed as you desire.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.