The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

I have a dilemma.  I entered what I thought was a "Truffle" contest and the winners were what I consider "Bonbons".  I remember some time ago on the old Discover Chocolate site Clay defined several types of Truffle.  I think they were: French, American, Nouvelle American.  I also posted this question: What is a "Traditional Truffle" on the Ecole Chocolat Graduate forum.  There seems to be a wide and subjective definition.  What is yours?

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well put Clay :)

Awesome Clay.... You nailed it .
Being Dutch , the truffle is divided into two categories: ganache ( chocoladetruffels) and fresh cream ( slagroomtruffels) . There are recipe variations on these basic types.
The ball shaped globe I see elsewhere are not so prevalent in the Netherlands and the understanding of truffle is that the form is "truffle like" and if you have seen a real truffle dug up out of the ground it looks pretty rough and dirty hence the classic coarse cocoa-dusted exterior of this confection.
A ganache truffle is classically ( in my education at least) scooped and tossed in cocoa powder.
A fresh cream truffle is classically whipped cream with a large proportion of sugar and fresh vanilla , scooped , frozen and dipped in untempered chocolate, then tossed in cocoa powder.
Of course , in the business we need some sort of preservation so the ganache has been dipped in chocolate to extend shelf life and the cream truffle has been restructured as a very creamy butter cream to extend the life of that... Progress?! I'm not sure if I agree , but we do what we do and evolution is unavoidable...... So in short , truffle> ganache> scooped roughly> cocoa powder.

When I first started making truffles, I was doing the roll by hand method. Now when I have to make 1000 truffles per batch, I find the molds are a better commercial approach. They do look awfully close to bonbons. I even thought about changing the name to bonbons, but I still give them a little roll in some powder before packaging so Im sticking with it for now. I have actually seen some molds out there that give the textured, hand-rolled apperance.

I found a small ice cream scoop helpful when scooping 30lbs of ganache ! It became occupational therapy at one point.... You had to get in the zone tho or you'd go insane! :)

That is what I use too.  I scoop and weigh each ganache.  I shoot for 5/8 oz for each and hit about 98% of the time.  When they are enrobed each is 1 oz.  Thanks for your input.

FYI for those playing trivia pursuit: 'truffle' derives from the Latin word tuber, meaning "swelling" or "lump."

There is nothing sweeter than the innocence and quick-smarts of a child: I was making some truffles from left over ganache, and my five year old son said: " Wow Daddy, those are some nice looking "lumps" of chocolate...." 

That's the best one yet!

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…