The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hello

we operate a medium sized chocolate business in a small tourist town on the south coast of WA.

We have been trading fo nearly two years and have enjoyed the challenge. However it's hard work and we struggle to get a fair return on our investment.

The cost of couverture is a major problem for us. A 10kg bag of Callebaut will cost around $180 in Oz whereas we understand in the UK it would cost fifty five pounds and in the US eighty dollars(US)

Are we paying more than twice the price for our couverture in Oz?  If so why?

Has anyone sourced more competitive arrangements to aquire couverture? 

Chris

Views: 2815

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, Richard you should talk to Florina who is on here too, she is attempting to do something similar with her families Samoan plantation.

Hi Tom, I saw her in here somewhere. Will make time to chat with her.

Thank you,

Hi Tom, Nice to hear from you. Back home we drink hot cocoa everyday. When you drive from my village to town about 30 mins, you see people selling both cocoa beans and the solid form already processed. I know people are bringing in Samoan cocoa beans from Samoa, but I want to get feedback from my own products so I will be more than happy to arrange a 5kg bag sent to you. If you want to provide me with your details, you can send it to my email address. premiumcocoaenterprise@gmail.com Also currently working on my website, which I can provide you next we talk.

Appreciate the comments,

Richard

That woud be great Richard, I will also send you back samples of the chocolate too so you can taste for yourself as well as read my comments, they make a whole lot more sense that way. Maybe we can knock Hersheys off the top of your favourite chocolate list.

It does seem the popular thing to do in the islands, to use the cocoa liquor as a base for a drink, Koko Samoa isn't it? The company I made chocolate for in the Philippines sells what they call Tableya for drinking chocolate. Eating chocolate doesn't seem as popular?

I'll email you shortly.

Thanks

Hi Tom, what you said samples and chocolate makes a lot of sense to me. I'll upload some photos of the farms we are currently working with. The boys in the photos work for me. I spoke to my supervisor this morning in Samoa and he assured me the samples will be ready for shipment by this Friday. It have been raining back home so the sun hasn't been too kind to us. You are correct with the name of our favorite hot drink (koko samoa) and eating chocolate is not as popular due to heat. I will forward you our website in the next few days. I just need to tidy up a few things to it.

Thank you,

Hi all:  We run a high-end Chocolates and High Tea Szalon in the Melbourne suburb of Collingwood.  High Tea business is very good, chocolate business makes up about 30 % of turnover.  You can see our website at www.mamorchocolates.com.  We ran the company in New Zealand for ten years before bringing it across. 

I was just looking at F. Mayer Melbourne Pty Ltd in Kensington.  Here's what we have been buying (all callets):

BITTERSWEET 53% BLOCK

15.54 kg

SUPER BITTER 58% BLOCK

15.75 kg

BITTERSWEET 53% CALLETS

16.00 kg

SUPER BITTER 58% CALLETS

16.54 kg

BITTERSWEET 53% CALLETS

16.80 kg

70% COCOA SOLIDS BLOCK

17.22 kg

70% COCOA SOLIDS CALLETS

17.85 kg

GHANA

21.00 kg

KUMABO 80% COCOA SOLIDS

21.50 kg

GHANA 70% DARK, SPICY & FRUITY AROMAS

22.65 kg

EQUADOR 70%

23.10 kg

GHANA 60% DARK, SUBTL FLOWERY FLAVOUR

23.65 kg

GHANA MILK, WITH LIGHT COLOUR, CARAMEL TASTE

24.10 kg

MADAGASGAR 66%

26.20 kg

MADAGASGAR 66% 2kg

40.00 kg

SAOTHOME 70% 2kg

40.00 kg

GRENADE 60% 2kg

40.00 kg

Yes, it's expensive for Callebaut, but by the time we sell the truffles, they are worth $142!!

its a sad fact but the best product is expensive, we import rare teas from China and Taiwan . And like chocolate if its cheap that's how it tastes.

We also make origin bars from cacao beans and for the time, cost of beans and cost of machinery, paying $20/kg is cheap for French couverture.

Speaking of shipping costs.. Anyone recommends a shipping company that does LCL Reefer from France to New Zealand? How do you guys do it? Where do you buy your hcocolate from? I am new and just in the process of starting my own business...

So much to do!!

Cheers,

Anissa

Mainfreight is one of the best we have found. Sorry can't help with suppliers if your NZ based also depends what you intend to manufacture bars, truffles, moulding etc etc. For example pointless using a high end chocolate if flavours (peppermint, strawberry etc) are going to be added, like adding lemonade to Grange Hermitage.

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately Mainfreight told me they dont do Less than Container Load in Reefer (refrigerated)... Was it possible for you?

we do delicate air freight only dry in LCL . If your moving chocolate perhaps consider air for smaller shipments. could try DHL their rates on 250-500kgs do work for us on tea. Though bear in mind we deal in rare teas in the $250- $500/kg + bracket. As with tea if your looking at low end price bracket chocolate $5-15/kg you'll need to look at full containers FCL to make the dollars add up on the right side. Which to be honest is better left to the traders who put a 3-5% margin on base cost but we're talking multiple pallet buys not 10 or 20kgs. Remember the food industry is also built around who you know more than what you know :)

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.