The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

So, I wish to make my own bean to bar chocolate for the primary reason that there is no 90% chocolate to be had in Australia (I currently buy it from the UK) and becuase I would just love to do it (ok, part of me is wondering If I could have a little side line business in the future...maybe).

A good starting point without spending to many thousands seems to be to start with nibs (thus avoiding for the moment issues of cracking and winnowing...maybe at a later date). What I need is a grinder, conch and ideally a tempering machine.

How easy life would be if I were in the USA - I could have the equipment purchased and on its way in minutes...but here in Australia (worse still Perth) it's a whole different story.

CocoaTown will ship a 220V version of the ECGC-12SLTA will grind and conch up to 3.5kg - sounds like a great starting point (even if it is an extra $280 to ship!). But now what I have been told by another company (see below) makes me think it mat not work as the USA is 60hz and we are 50Hz....has anyone used a Cocoa Town ECGC-12SLTA here in Australia?

I contacted Chocovision about their MiniRev tempering machine (even though it is 110V) because I can buy a cheap transformer - but they refused to sell it to me because they have assured me it will break very quickly because of the Hz difference. I contacted a couple of Australian Companys that say they sell tempering machines (though they look expensive and at 12L probably far to big) but neither company could be bothered to reply to me. Is anyone actually using a small tempering machine here in Aus? If so what make and where can I get one?

No wonder there are only four bean to bar makers here in Aus! At least one of which only uses antique equipment (all they could get I should think!). I contacted another bean to bar maker who I know is of a small scale, but no reply from them either....

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any advice much apprecaited.

Peter

Views: 233

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter,

I feel your pain, living in the US or in Europe would make life, in that sense, much easier.

But there is hope. You can buy the Chocovision rev 3210 r the Delta either from Chocovision or Richard Foot in 220volt. Buying it from either will take the same time to get to you as Richard Foot does not keep this in stock.

I bought them both directly from Chocovision. 

Good luck

Jan 

Many thanks Jan

I purchased my wet grinder from Indian Kitchen they offer free shipping World wide they have a helpful Sales person in Australia which made it easier for me because I could confirm the technical details and have some assurance that my order would turn up. the only other thing you need to buy is a indian to NZ/Aust plug converter

p.s. plus a 24h timer switch

have made three batches of chocolate, very happy.

Hey Ilya, what kind of wet grinder did you buy from Indian Kitchen? I am looking to purchase the Premier 2.0l Tilting Wet Grinder as it is very reasonably priced. Any tips?

Thats the one I bought,

I was advised to purchase the ultra-plus as it has a overheat shutoff switch in is. but i decided to get the Tilting Premier because of its compactness and it look great.

So they said that the Premier is guaranteed to run for two hours at a time with out overheating.

I bought one of those analog 24h timers and set it up to run for thirty minutes at a time with 15 minute cooling breaks in between.

when you get to making your first batch of chocolate you will need more time than you anticipate

by the time  you have actually got the nibs grinding away it will need a lot of attention with the spatular.  

once the chocolate liquor behaves its self you can leave it running over night. be careful becose if it isn't at the right stage it can rise up above the rollers and solidify when left unattended.

I put a fire alarm above my machine just incase of electrical fire.

hope that helps

Hi Peter,

I'm interested myself in the Chocovision (the bigger model) and it seems it's available in the 220v version here in Australia.

As for the 90% chocolate, we import and distribute the whole range of Slitti's bars, including 90% and 100%, and you'll be surprised to know that the 90% is our best seller and my personal favourite.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service