The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hi,

I am thinking of a crazy gravity flow chocolate factory that wastes as little energy as possible and one step I always hate is when I move my chocolate from the conch to the aging tray where it cools down and sits for a period of time.  Then I heat it up again to temper it after the aging process is complete.  

If I finished my conch at around 125 degrees and then tempered it right away, would that affect how it ages?  Does it being in temper matter?  Could i temper and pour molds and age the chocolate in its final bar format?  could I just wrap it and age it in it's packaging?

Just planning over here!  

thanks for any thoughts.

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's fair to say that chocolate clearly ages whether or not it's in temper. However, whether those changes would be different in an untempered state is probably one of those Rumsfeldian 'known unknowns' that are so common in chocolate. I've not seen any scientific studies on aging in either case, but I would love to if anyone knows of some.

For what it's worth, a gravity flow chocolate making operation seems uncrazy to me...as you probably know, many wineries used to operate much more vertically, which makes a ton of sense from any number of perspectives.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.