The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hello all,

This year (with many thanks to Clay for his guidance) the Good Food Awards will have a confections category, to be detailed in July.

I'm curious to hear what brands of couverture made anywhere in the world that meet these guidelines:

1) The chocolate does not contain:

• vegetable, palm or hydrogenated fats
  • genetically modified (GMO) soy lecithin

2) The chocolate company makes an effort to understand cacao growing practices, work directly with their cacao farmers, and / or is from a Fair Trade or organic certified sources. (Note that the "or" makes this guideline more liberal than it may sound at first, given the nature of cacao farming.)

Subscribe to the GFA newsletter to hear when the entry period is open and I'll be sure to post here too.

Thanks for all your insight!

Susie

Tags: chocolate, confections

Views: 396

Replies to This Discussion

Original Beans!!!! Two dark couvertures: Cru Virunga (DR Congo) and Piura Criollo (Peru). One milk: Esmeraldas (Ecuador). See www.originalbeans.com Feel free to contact me. Chocolove, Vera

Vera:

As the Good Food Awards is a US competition - are the couvertures available in the US? And through whom?

I would also like to know of good sources for this. 

Susie:

I believe that all of the couvertures produced by Cluizel are lecithin free and contain no non-cocoa fats and also does a good deal of direct sourcing. They don't (as far as I know) have any organic offerings nor offer any Fair Trade certified products.

I am going to think about putting together some sort of database on-line that ChocolateLife members can contribute to to answer this question.

:: Clay

I think Guittard fits the requirement.  They can provide a letter of statement if needed.

Cocoa Camino from Ottawa is a distributor of organic, fair trade couverture, which is also lecitin free. I work only with their couverture. You can also check Fair Trade websites for  more supplieers.

The Santa Barbara Chocolate Company has Fair Trade, Organic, Non-GMO chocolate. I've been looking into organic certified chocolates for the retail outlet I have my chocolates at...

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.