The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hello I am having issues with what I believe is sugar bloom. It usually appears within days after making the chocolate, but sometimes shows up after night. The bloom is only occurring where the chocolate makes contact with the mold. 

I am using silicone molds and I have to brush the molds lightly with oil to get some shine, otherwise the mold absorbs the cacao butter from the surface of the chocolate. I have been using grape seed oil.

I immediately put the molds in the refrigerator after pouring the chocolates and leave it in for about an hour. Then after pulling the chocolates out of the molds I store them at room temperature. I live in Tucson Arizona so have relatively low humidity.

This has been a consistent problem that has kept me from launching my business and introducing my chocolates into local stores. I really hope to get this figured out before the holidays! I am considering airbrushing the chocolates to keep them looking good but would rather not have to take this route.

Any suggestions are very appreciated ~ THANK YOU

Juliana

Views: 638

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Juliana,

Bloom is a result of temperature abuse...so I guess what I recommend is reviewing your tempering process...You don't mention if how (what equipment) you use to achieve temper...I have a super small operation and use a double boiler and a thermometer AND I watch the % humidity and temperature in the room/kitchen I use...I make sure the humidity is about 50% or less and the room temperature is about 72F...I also use silicone molds but I don't have any problems with the shine on my chocolates...I don't add any fat of any kind to the interior of the mold...If I was going to apply a fat to the inside of the mold I would probably use cocoa butter not grape seed oil...I also put my mold in the refrig to get the to set quickly and as I indicated I don't have a problem with shine or snap...good luck to you..

Thank you Kim! I am using a tempering machine by Chocovision. I don't think the problem is in the tempering because I don't have this problem with other molds.

If this is not a common problem I think it may be caused by my silicone molds. 

The reason I don't use cacao butter to coat the molds is because it hardens at room temperature and because of its color would be very noticeable. I use grape seed oil because it does not have much taste and I think that less people would have an allergy to it as opposed to nut oils.

I appreciate your feedback :)

Hi Juliana, 

It's possible your chocolates are spending too much time in the fridge, and the condensation is causing the sugar bloom. I leave my moulded chocolates in the fridge for no more than 15 minutes and I don't have a problem with sugar bloom, or achieving a shiny surface without the need for additional oil. 

I hope this is helpful.

Suzie

Thank you Suzie! I try to pull the chocolates out as soon as they set ~ some of my molds are deep so they take longer. 

I appreciate your reply :)

How "deep" are you silicone molds? Getting tempered chocolate to actually stay tempered while curing is a huge problem for most deep molds. I solved this problem with my 1.75" thick mold. Remember, cacao is both endothermic (absorbs heat) and exothermic (creates its own heat). These two thermic processes are independent of each other. With a deep mold you need to extract the heat as quickly as possible. While the tempered chocolate is continuing to form solid crystals on the inside it is creating its own heat in order to perform the molecular structuring you are wanting. Place a fan inside the refrigerator to create greater cool air flow and you will provide a way for the heat created to be absorbed away quickly. Thus, leaving you with a perfectly tempered deep mold all the way through.

Thank you Alex! My deepest molds are about 1.5" and I have noticed they are more difficult to temper than the shallow ones! I will try the fan :) I appreciate your suggestion!

I'm a beginner at the chocolate making, but I'm wondering how you clean your molds? I've read with molds you do not wash them with soap and over time the cocoa butter remains on the mold making the chocolate remove more easily. Although that may only be the case for polycarbonate molds. 

I did some experimenting with a silicone mold I purchased to make carmel centers. I put tempered white chocolate in them twice, no shine either time. So I believe the shine issue has to do with it being a silicone mold. If you use polycarbonate molds you will get more shine with each fill. As far as the bloom, I think it is fat bloom not sugar bloom. What is happening is that you are shocking the chocolate after all your effort of getting a perfect temper. Just imagine getting all bundled up nice and warm and then going outside into a blizzard in your birthday suit. Not only does it take your breath away and put your body into shock, it also does terrible things to your body. Your doing the same thing to the chocolate. After filling your molds let them set for a few minutes so they begin to set. Put them in the refrigerator for NO MORE than 5 minutes. Take them back out and let them finish hardening. It took me awhile to figure out what I had been doing wrong. Sometimes you have to slow down and walk yourself thru each step to figure out the answer. Hope this helps.

Thank you Aldona! I wish I could use polycarbonate molds but I am making my own molds and my designs are very detailed so I have to stick with silicone for its flexibility. You may be right about it being fat bloom ~ I just read the part about sugar bloom and realized I had misinterpreted it. "Sugar bloom does not disappear when touched and feels grainy to the touch." I will let them set before putting them in the fridge and try leaving them in for just 5 minutes. I hope this works! I appreciate your suggestions!

Hi Juliana,

Silicone will not give you the shine that you are looking for. The silicone is fun to work with your creativity however you will not have the shine. on the other hand, the Polycarbonate will give the shine but it quite expensive for personalize mould.

Your problem of blooming, can be several issues. How can you determine your case is a sugar bloom but not a fat bloom? can you download a close up photo?

#1 Sugar bloom is occur with humidity. So what king of filling that you filled with? If it is a high water activity, like jam or jelly, the transfer of the water from filling to chocolate, could cause the blooming in the long run (4 day to a week). But it may not your case.

#2 short fall, it is because when you pull your chocolate out from the refrigerator it may expose to the shock of temperature, the different from your fridge and your room temp. And because of your thin layer of oil that mask the surface, so you could not identify it at first place.

#3 I guess in your case is more fat bloom,  Cocoa butter fat is can not mix with any other fat without an understanding of its chemistry.  The thin layer of oil has been mixing with the cocoa butter, their for one is lauric, the other is non lauric. So its result the blooming after several hour or may be day. Depending how good your chocolate is precrystallize with the beta V.  Therefor to fixe your problem.  The best is to use some dusting of color shimmer if you want to have it shine. And cut the oil out you will fix your p[problem.

Derrick

Thank you Derrick! Sorry I don't have a picture yet. I am not using any filling. I think it may be temperature shock so I will try leaving the refrigerator open so it does not get too cold and taking it out as soon as it sets. Cutting the oil would mean I will have to start airbrushing with cacao butter color, otherwise my molds make the chocolate surface uneven in color, the insides are fine though. I appreciate your ideas :)

There is a company called Custom Sweets based out of Snowflake, AZ that may be able to help. They make custom molds at a reasonable price. I haven't ordered from them yet but I will be ordering their bulldog candy bar mold (not the 8 pound one) at the beginning of the year (our school is Baker bulldogs).

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.