The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hi everyone,

I currenlty own a bakery and am just starting in the chocolate business. I want to purchase my first tempering machine. I am particularly interested in Chocovsion's x3210 or their Delta. Can any of you comment on which you prefer and why? Are there other brands/models that are comparable that would work for someone new to the chocolate world?

I need a temperer that will work for several years before I need to upgrade, and my space is small. I think a batch temperer is better for me -- mostly dipping in small batches -- than a continuous tempering machine. One of the reasons I like Chocovision is that they told me I can upgrade any purchase with them as my business grows.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Dorothy

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dorothy,

We have the X3210 and have been using it for years, it's fantastic. I have the hole baffle (increases volume amount) as well as the solid standard one, I mention it in case you want to get one. Their customer service is exceptional, whenever I have had a question or issues it's dealt with without a hassle. For small batches it's ideal. I can dip several hundred at a time. We are only now starting to outgrow it. Would highly recommend it! 

Hope that helps. Cheers, Dirke

Thank you Dirke. I was leaning toward the x3210 until I found out that the Delta has several added features:

1. Extended tempering mode

2. Can store up to 26 chocolate recipes

3. Manual mode for compound conditioning.

Have you found that you needed any of these options in your business?

And yes, I will be getting the hole baffle for larger batches.

Thanks again.

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

I have the Chocovision Delta and overall I'm very happy with it. I've been using it for almost two years and haven't had a problem. 

I bought the Delta because of the additional features, but I'm not sure they're worth the extra money.

The extended temper mode doesn't work all that well. Every hour the machine pauses, then heats the chocolate to 35 degrees celsius to melt out some Form 5 crystals, then returns the chocolate to its working temperature. It's a 15-20 minute process, during which time you can't use the chocolate, and I've found it hard to work my production schedule around it. Additionally, sometimes, especially after the second or third time heating the chocolate, I find the chocolate has lost its tempered state. It sets streaky and forms cocoa butter bloom over the following days. 

I use the machine settings to temper my milk and white chocolate, and I have one formula saved for my dark chocolate (three different percentages), which works best when melted to 50 degrees celsius. If I worked with a lot of different couvertures I might use this feature more, but I work mostly with one brand. 

The features I do love are "overnight mode" where the machine keeps your chocolate melted so you can begin tempering immediately when you arrive in the morning, and the "Manual" mode which I use to melt the solid chocolate in the bowl. I bought extra bowls and baffles for each colour chocolate, which saves on cleaning and helps with storage. 

Overall I'm really happy with the Chocovision Delta and I expect I'll be using it for several more years. 

Regards

Suzie

Hi Dorothy

I have the X3210 and I love it. I have been using for 3 years. I have not missed the features you mention. I usually use the chocolate fast enough that I don't need extended temper. It does a good job with a lot of different chocolates and have needed "recipes" for different chocolates.  When tempering very dark chocolate I use the temper 2 mode and it comes out.  I have not had good luck with the night feature. 

Hope it helps decide

Shalini

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge