The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Hi

do you know if the refining process could be made with a colloid mill?

We are in Venezuela at the Caracas historial centre. We have a chocolaterie and we are working to build a small factory to produce (milk & bitter) chocolate tablets and "bombones". This factory will be seen for the visitors of the Caracas historical centre.

Views: 424

Replies to This Discussion

They can be used to grind nibs into liquor quite effectively.  I've not tried grinding sugar/milk with the nibs, but it's technically feasible.  Heat build up is going to be your enemy, so you'll need to find a way to take it out.  Also,  your paste is going to have to be fluid enough to flow through the grinding chamber, which could very well prove to be your limiting factor.

We are going to refine cocoa liquor with sugar/milk. Previosly we had mix this products.

The first trial is going to be in a month. I am going to try to upload some photos and a report.

Omar - does the grinding apparatus of your machine - is it a conical shaped piece that has the texture of rough sandpaper at the center of your unit with a cap that sits over it, or does the center of the unit have a pair of 'blades' that throw the material towards the outside walls, where the metal is a series of very roughly serrated edges?

well ... I really dont know. Its not ready yet and its been made in Maracaibo. I live in Caracas, 700 km far away.

I am going to post the answer when I have it

Saludos.

Sebastian--for grinding just roasted nibs, does one of the two grinding types you mention work better than the other?  I'm considering colloid mills for pre-grinding nibs, though information on them is pretty sparse (or written with poor english skills).

Huh, only ever reply to posts i see on the front page of the web site. Just now i noticed there's a sidebar of activity, where your recent response appeared.  Had i not noticed that, i'd likely have simply missed it. I wonder how often that happens?

To answer your question - what does 'better' mean?  Both will work, both give different results.  Better to how i make chocolate means something very, very different to how someone else might make chocolate.  I'd say the most important things to consider are your volume (size a unit that's appropriate for the volume you want), and cooling (if you grind a lot, your unit will get hot and you'll need to remove the heat somehow - that'll be the case with any type of pre-grinder however - if you're going to be a sizeable operation, get a unit that has a water jacket on it - both so you can pre-heat it before use with hot water to keep the cocoa butter fluid, and to cool it down once you begin using it to keep it from burning).

Yeah this posting was a bit strange, i thought my post didn't go through because it didn't pop up on the top of the front page---just found it again in a google search.  glad I did, and thank you for responding.

In terms of quality of the output, because I'm unfamiliar with this style of grinding, do some oxidize (or otherwise chemically change) the liquor more than others or is that just a function of how hot it gets?  Is either superior in terms of having a tight output particle size distribution (most are rated from 2--xx um, but i'm hoping to not get an even spread across the range).

I have been looking at output volumes on the machines and am trying to pair them with my production (and try to foresee how much I'll be producing a year from now to avoid under sizing).  Some come equipped with water jackets so I will definitely target those in my search.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.