The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

If anyone uses a Crankenstein cocoa mill, could you share your thoughts about how well it works?  Also, what are you using to winnow?  Are there any relatively inexpensive winnowers that work well?  I'm not handy at all (nor is my husband) so I don't think making one is an option unless it's really easy.

Thanks!

Views: 553

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Beth. There's a lot of discussion about the Crankandstein on this forum that you can search for. I'd recommend doing so, but the general consensus is that the Crankandstein is pretty good for cracking beans, but does have some issues with over-cracking.

There aren't many inexpensive winnowers to purchase. The only one that I know of is the Sylph from Chocolate Alchemy. 

I am using my champion juicer to crack my beans and I have made a winnower for 70 $ from lowes I would be happy to send you a picture and explane how it works it was easy to make and about 95% effective

Thanks for both of your replies.  I'd be happy if you could send me a picture and explanation of your winnower, Milford.

If you're willing to build one, there are a couple good designs with plans available online. Clay posted a zig-zag winnower here on the Chocolate Life:

http://www.thechocolatelife.com/video/diy-seedcleaner

Also, John Nanci at Chocolate Alchemy has plans for his Aether and Sprite winnowers. This is what I use. This thread on the CA forum has links to the design and a lot of discussion of it:

http://chocolatetalk.proboards.com/thread/975/chocolate-alchemy-diy...

Thanks, Ben.  I'll take a look at the designs, but I'm really not handy, so I'm afraid I'll just waste time and money by attempting to make my own.  Perhaps I'll surprise myself though. :-)

Hi Milford, I would love the pic and explanation of how you created your winnower please. 

Hi Milford,

Can you tell me what attachments you use on your juicer?  Please send photos of the winnower.  Thanks!

Hi Milford,
I am studying various cracking and winnower designs and would love to see pictures of your winnower.
Cheers
Morten

... and my email is: jessen @ mojoe.info :)

Hi Milford,

Interested in your winnower idea. Can you please send pictures/explanation to bakincrazy66@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Milford,

Please send me Pics and your kind explanation to: konahand@gmail.com

Thanks!

Philip

Hi Milford - I would also like info on your winnower. Please send it to thetrufflebar@gmai.com. Think you!

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.