The Chocolate Life

Discover Chocolate and Live La Vida Cocoa!

Has anyone tried adapting a commercial rotisserie for roasting beans?

Firstly, I'm a newbie here and so pleased to have found this great community. 

In the process of shopping for a decent used convection oven I came across a fairly large commercial roaster at a very good price. I thought I might fashion a basket to contain the beans and roast them that way. Am I wasting my time trying to do this? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Lastly, I'm going to attempt to show you a picture of the rotisserie I'm considering:

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Views: 98

Replies to This Discussion

If that's what you have, I would start with it. Since the beans will be rotated, it's much better than a conventional oven where the beans on the top and bottom are more roasted than the ones in the middle. Thankfully I live near a coffee farmer who has a forced air roaster. I go to his farm and pay about $25 to roast 100 lbs. His roaster is much better than my oven.

Thanks Mark . I haven't actually purchased the unit yet but it seems like such a good deal I thought I would solicit opinions before I made the trip to see it and buy it.  Also, I  am not sure if it will achieve the right temperatures necessary to roast beans properly. If anyone is familiar with this particular machine and can tell me about it I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks Again!

Jack

Hi Gap,

Thanks so much for the link to that discussion! That is exactly what I needed to hear/or read in this case.

I will be taking a day trip to buy it and will let you know how things go. It will be the first piece of equipment I buy in my new endeavor. Wow! I'm getting excited! 

Thanks Again,

Jack

I bought the rotisserie. It needs an expensive quartz type of heating element/ light (1000 watt) but other than that, it appears to work fine. The seller demonstrated it prior to my buying it and told me what it needed. I ordered the element and the electrician will be here in two days to install a 220v outlet.

I am in discussions with a stainless steel drum maker to get that started. More to follow.

RSS

Member Marketplace

Promote TheChocolateLife

Bookmark and Share

Follow Clay on:
Twitter :: @DiscoverChoc
F'Book :: TheChocolateLife
F'Book Group :: LaVidaCocoa
Paper.li :: @DiscoverChoc

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Clay Gordon.